About the Youth Horse Challenge
The Youth Horse Challenge is a youth competition testing knowledge, skills, and abilities related to horsemanship. Contestants compete in rounds including completing a record book, demonstrating knowledge of tack and equipment, exhibiting groundwork skills with their horse, and riding the horse in rail and obstacle classes.
STUDY MATERIALS ARE AVAILABLE BELOW.
Specific questions related to the Youth Horse Challenge may be sent to [email protected].
Tack and Equipment:
- Western Horseman. Guide to Tack and Equipment: Form, Fit and Function, by Cynthia McFarland.
- The Complete Book of Bits and Bitting, by Elwyn Hartley Edwards.
- The Ultimate Book of Horse Bits: What They Are, What They Do, and How They Work, by Emily Esterson.
- The Essential Book of Horse Tack and Equipment, by Susan McBane.
- 101 Ground Training Exercises for Every Horse and Handler, by Cherry Hill.
- 101 Arena Exercises: A Ringside Guide for Horse and Rider, by Cherry Hill.
- John Lyons' Bringing Up Baby: 20 Progressive Ground-Work Lessons in Developing Your Young Horse into a Reliable, Accepting Partner, by John Lyons.
- Ground Up; Connecting Groundwork with Ridden Work for you and your Horse, by Justine Rumney.
- The Revolution in Horsemanship: And What it Means to Mankind, by Robert M. Miller and Rick Lamb.
- The Horse (2nd Edition) by Evans, Borton, Hintz, Van Vleck, W.H.Freeman and Company.
- American Youth Horse Council Youth Leaders’ Manual by the American Youth Horse Council, the Equine Collection-Dept. AYHC, PO Box 1539, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024-1539.
- Horse Industry Handbook by the American Youth Horse Council, The Equine Collection-Dept. AYHC, PO Box 1539, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024-1539.
Schedule of Events
Youth Horse Challenge - February 19-20, 2017 | 8:00am | Expo Hall